Over the past few years social and environmental issues have been explored, discussed and, at times, hotly debated within Triratna. Some feel that social activism is essential to a meaningful and relevant Dharma life. Others fear that the increasing emphasis on social activism risks reducing the transcendental and liberative nature of the Dharma to secular social work.
June 10-12 saw the International Council gather to discuss and (hopefully) agree a response to an important and timely question:
What Dharma principles inform and guide our individual and collective (Triratna) engagement in social issues?
To stimulate discussion two keynote talks by Ratnaguna and Amrutasiddhi were recorded. Additionally, in the same YouTube playlist there are 5 shorter videos from Order members passionately engaged in different types of social action or activism around the world.
In this playlist are:
- Shantigarbha (focused on climate change)
- rodashruti (work around Equity, Diversity, Justice, and Inclusion)
- Guhyapati (his work training activists)
- Maitripala (her work giving away Buddha rupas)
- Maitrisiddhi (her wisdom perspective on activism)